Recipe Source: http://www.recipezaar.com/Authentic-Lamb-Curry-from-Kerala-298070
Recipe Result: Rather tasty
This recipe turned out great, and with minimal changing of the cooking steps. I just had to modify the measures of the ingredient list, since I’m obviously not going to work with 4lbs of lamb. Speaking of the lamb, the Sunset Valley Farmer’s Market has a vendor of some great, local, grass-fed lamb. Check it out, it was great quality and at a pretty good price. One thing I should have done with the lamb, though, was tenderize it and then season it with some salt and let it sit for a while. The meat came out a little bland in the end. But the curry sauce was perfect.
Changes:
- I omitted the lemon juice. People usually put in a little lemon juice or vinegar into a recipe to add acid, because the tartness “brightens up” the savory flavors. I don’t usually look for that kind of acid in a curry. Besides, I think the fresh tomatoes added enough of that.
Ingredients:
1 lb lamb (stew-cut)
1 Tbsp veg oil
2 large cloves of garlic (crushed)
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 yellow onion (3” diameter), sliced thin
1 black cardamom pod
4 green cardamoms
1 cinnamon stick (2 inches)
10 black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
1.5 tsp cumin seed
2 large bay leaves (dried)
2 vine-ripe tomatoes (blanched, peeled, seeded, diced)
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp turmeric
1.5 tsp coriander
2 Tbsp plain yogurt
Salt to taste
Served with rice and naan
Yielded 3 servings
No comments:
Post a Comment