Saturday, May 8, 2010

Prosciutto-Wrapped Sea Scallops

I guess I haven't posted anything new for a minute, work has been consuming all of my time lately. I'm talking about some real I-Already-Work-Around-The-Clock stuff. I'm actually writing this while I'm collecting data on the test floor, too.

It's gotten so bad that I actually went a whole week or more without cooking, because I stay at work so late. I've had to rely on the cafeteria for lunch, and dinner has been catered by the program managers of one of the products I'm on. Granted that Jason's Deli is a healthier option than most other places that could have catered, I still want something hot and homemade.

A few weeks ago I saw Whole Foods had these monster sea scallops on sale, so I had to grab a few. In trying to decide how to prep them, I passed by the deli counter and saw this really good looking hunk of prosciutto. I've heard of bacon-wrapped scallops, and I am a fan of bacon-wrapped anything. But I do love me some prosciutto, with melon, on pizza, with arugala and olive oil in a panino. Why not on scallops?

So I carefully wrap each scallop in a slice or 2 of prosciutto, leaving the flat sides exposed. Skewer the scallop and prosciutto with a toothpick to hold it all together for cooking. I seasoned with some crushed black pepper and not very much salt at all, the prosciutto would be salty enough. I pan seared each side in butter (Whole Foods carries Kerrygold!) for a little less than a minute. You want the flat sides to be nicely singed but the insides to still be soft and just warmed. When the scallops were done, I sauteed some shallots, deglazed the pan with a cup of white wine (I think it was a pinot grigio), and melted in another couple teaspoons of butter. It was served with some asparagus, oven-roasted with salt, pepper, olive oil, lemon zest & juice, and minced garlic.



1 comment:

  1. I've read through some of your posts and this is what I have to say... I like your plates. The black ones are particularly nifty.

    Also you make home cook food look fancy.

    ReplyDelete